Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Name Game

I've been contemplating how I should refer to my husband.  I have a couple projects started that will involve me mentioning him and I want to have a consistent name I call him.  Here are my options and what I like/dislike about them:

My Husband ~ It sounds too impersonal, right?  Like I don't want you guys to know about him, which isn't the case at all.

My Hubby ~ This works for a lot of people.  More power to you if it does.  But I would never, ever say "hubby" out loud, so would you really want me to write it?

Isaac ~ That's his name, so it seems like an obvious choice.  But I vary rarely call him by his name, so it feels weird.  In all honesty, I don't really use people's names very often.  If I'm trying to get someone's attention I use a generic "hey" (or "baby"  if it's my husband), and if I'm talking about someone I use their name once and then follow up with "he/she" (generally one or the other, but sometimes I see people downtown where he/she is the only appropriate pronoun) the rest of the time.  I don't know why I do it.  That's just how I roll.  

I ~ I've noticed a lot of people refer to family by their first initial in blogland.  I like the idea, but in my case I think it'll get super confusing.  I'll be all "I and I stopped by Goodwill today...", and then new readers will think I have multiple personalities or something.  I want to gain new readers, not scare them all away.

Mr. S. ~ Another trend I see is to refer to your spouse as Mr. Last Initial (which now that I write it would be an option because it's kind of fun and I'm sure nobody's using it, but typing all the letters in Mr. Last Initial all the time would get tiresome) and our last name starts with S.  But we're not really "Mr. & Mrs." kind of people, so it sounds a little off to me.

Superman ~ He has a Superman shirt with just the big "S' on it that he claims does not stand for Superman, but for our last name.  I tease him that he just wears it because he wants me to call him "My Superman". 

Jack ~ He fancies himself to be a Jack of all Trades.  He doesn't know a ton about any one thing, but he knows a little about everything, and he's proud of it.  The problem would be that new readers would just assume his name is Jack.  Not that there's anything wrong with being named Jack.  I just don't know him. 

Handy ~ Along the same lines as Jack, he's also quite handy.  And he likes to point out often how lucky I am because he's handier (is that a word?) than the other husbands I know.


So what do you think?  Are there any options that jump out at you as the perfect name?  Or do you have a suggestion I haven't thought of?  I'd love to hear your input since you're the ones who'll have to be reading it.


2 comments:

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

I personally am not a fan of hubby but that's probably because I never say it. I would say just use his name but that's just me :)

ladykay said...

I like Superman. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...