Monday, April 11, 2011

Contact Paper Stencil

Here's a quick tutorial on how to make a contact paper stencil like I told you about yesterday.  Why would you want to know how to make a stencil that completely didn't work?  Because there was nothing wrong with the stencil.  It was my application of it that was unsuccessful.  If I'd used it on a flat surface like a table where I could have painted straight on the stencil, it would have turned out beautifully.  But that's not what I wanted, and I guess making a useless stencil is what I get for being impatient and not wanting to wait until I had the supplies I needed.

Oh well, on to the tutorial.

You'll need:
~ A Printed Copy of your Image
~ Contact Paper
~ Tape
~ Scissors

Tape your image to the contact paper:


I used masking tape because it was sitting right next to me on the counter, but you could use whatever you have handy.

Since I'd planned on using my stencil as a pattern to trace on the wall (rather than using it as a stencil) I created a stencil that was backwards from what you'd normally use, so I cut out the center first:


But obviously you'd cut your stencil in whatever way is right for you.

When I cut around the outside I left the four spots that I'd taped as my last pieces to cut.  Keeping the tape until the end allowed everything else to stay in place while I cut.  Sorry, I didn't take a picture of that step.  When I was done I had a lovely stencil: 


Just peel off the backing and stick your contact paper stencil on to your surface.  Easy right?  I'll use this technique sometime in an application that does work so you can see actual results.  Until then, start looking around your house to see what could use a little stenciling.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...